Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4584 / 54°27'30"N
Longitude: -0.8244 / 0°49'27"W
OS Eastings: 476306
OS Northings: 507640
OS Grid: NZ763076
Mapcode National: GBR QJPW.9K
Mapcode Global: WHF8X.96NF
Entry Name: Lealholm War Memorial
Location: Glaisdale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441704
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on the verge to the S of the Church of St James the Greater (Grade II*-listed) and to the N of the Grade II-listed drinking fountain to the N of Lealholm Bridge (also Grade II). It takes the form of a tall Blue Bolton Wood stone wheel-head cross in the Celtic style. The cross arms are ornamented with interlace patterns carved in relief. The cross shaft rises from the tapering plinth, which stands on a two-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the cross shaft reads LEALHOLM/ IN/ HONOURED/ MEMORY/ OF/ THE LOCAL MEN/ WHO SERVED/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. Continuing on the front face of the plinth, the inscription reads “THESE PASSED OUT OF THE SIGHT/ OF MEN BY THE PATH OF/ DUTY AND SELF-SACRIFICE.”/ (12 NAMES). Below, to the foot of the plinth, the dates 1939 1945 flank the commemorated Second World War name. The front face of the top step bears the inscription "LET THOSE THAT COME AFTER/ SEE TO IT THAT THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN". The names of those who served in the First World War but returned are listed to either side of the plinth. The memorial is enclosed by a low kerb carrying round-headed railings.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Lealholm as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. By John Bowron of Stockton, the memorial was unveiled on 31 March 1920, in commemoration of 12 local servicemen who had died during the First World War. The cross also marks the service of those others who served and returned. Following the Second World War the name of a soldier who died in that conflict was added.
Lealholm War Memorial, which stands to the S of the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall and imposing cross in the Celtic style ornamented with carved interlace patterns;
* Group value: with the Church of St James the Greater (Grade II*) and other adjacent Grade II-listed heritage assets.
Other nearby listed buildings