This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9365 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -2.7656 / 2°45'56"W
OS Eastings: 347461
OS Northings: 226715
OS Grid: SO474267
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.N0MM
Mapcode Global: VH867.0LSC
Entry Name: Orcop War Memorial
Location: Orcop, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Listing Date: 20 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441720
First World War memorial.
Orcop War Memorial is located at the junction of Pontrilas Road and Garway Road on an area of green.
It consists of a stone Latin cross with fleur de lys ends and a carved collar on top of a tapering octagonal shaft. The shaft rises from a square pedestal on a two-stepped square base.
The front face of the plinth is incised and reads IN MEMORY OF/ ORCOP PARISHIONERS/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ AS WE FOR ENGLAND DIED. Two further faces are inscribed with the names of the fallen.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Orcop as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The cross was damaged in 1964 and subsequently repaired.
Orcop War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Latin cross.
Other nearby listed buildings