This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0824 / 51°4'56"N
Longitude: 0.0295 / 0°1'46"E
OS Eastings: 542254
OS Northings: 133413
OS Grid: TQ422334
Mapcode National: GBR LNX.295
Mapcode Global: FRA B6Y8.9B4
Entry Name: Forest Row Camp War Memorial
Location: Forest Row, Wealden, East Sussex, RH18
County: East Sussex
Parish: Forest Row
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Listing Date: 20 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441756
First World War memorial, unveiled 1926, to all the soldiers who had been based at the temporary army training camp at Forest Row during the First World War.
MATERIALS: stone war memorial.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located beside the fairway of the fourth hole of the West Course of the Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club. It takes the form of a pillar with moulded and curved top. Within the arched head on the front face is a carved cross in a laurel wreath surround. The base of the pillar has four very shallow steps and the whole stands on a single stepped raised base.
The front face of the memorial is inscribed THIS STONE IS SET UP AS/ AN ENDURING RECORD OF/ A CAMP/ WHERE MANY THOUSANDS OF/ YEOMANRY AND ARTILLERY/ WERE TRAINED DURING THE/ GREAT WAR/ AND IN REMEMBRANCE OF/ THOSE WHO WENT ON TO FIGHT/ AND GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1918.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 March 2017.
In August 1914 the Conservators of Ashdown Forest resolved to place the forest at the disposal of the War Office, if required. A tented Army camp was established at Forest Row, followed soon after by a hutted encampment. Built near to Ashdown Place and including stabling for 500 horses, controversy amongst the Commoners about the camp location, and behaviour of encamped soldiers, continued throughout the First World War.
At first the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade, comprised of various Yeomanry regiments, moved into the camp. Resident from November 1914, the Brigade was broken up and its regiments moved into different formations in 1915. The Brigade was followed by 66th (East Lancashire) Division Royal Field Artillery, resident until embarkation for France in February 1917. 1B Reserve Brigade Royal Field Artillery, comprised of 4th, 5th and 6th Batteries, was also encamped at Forest Row until 1919. The camp was vacant by November 1919 but a claim for compensation made by the Conservators was not settled with the War Office until 1922.
As many as 30,000 soldiers had passed through Forest Row camp. A proposal to erect a memorial to these men was led by the British Legion and Colonel Brownlow (a local resident). A wooden model was erected while permission was sought from the Conservators. Suitable stone was offered by Mr Douglas Freshfield of Forest Row: this was prepared by Messrs H and E Waters of Highgate Green and carved by Mr H Bacon of Crawley. The memorial was unveiled on 4 April 1926 by Major-General Gleichen KCVO CB CMG DSO and dedicated by Reverend WG Newham.
Forest Row Camp War Memorial, which stands on the Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club West Course, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local area, and the sacrifice made by men of the regiments encamped at Forest Row during the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant memorial in the Classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings