This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4547 / 51°27'17"N
Longitude: -0.1403 / 0°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 529307
OS Northings: 174502
OS Grid: TQ293745
Mapcode National: GBR F2.597
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.JP5N
Entry Name: Clapham Park War Memorial
Location: Lambeth, London, SW4
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Clapham Common
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 20 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441832
First World War memorial in the form of a Calvary cross, unveiled 1921.
The memorial is located outside the Church of the Holy Spirit, Narbonne Road and consists of a Calvary cross on a tapered octagonal shaft, which stands upon an octagonal plinth around which are two rows of Gothic-style inscriptions interspersed with symbolic decorations. The top row of the inscription reads IN EVER LIVING / MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF / THIS PARISH / WHO LAID DOWN / THEIR LIVES IN / THE WAR OF / MCMXIV XVIII the lower row reads MAY GOD / THE ALL MERCIFUL / GRANT TO THEM / AND TO ALL / WHO DIED FOR / THEIR COUNTRY / HIS LIGHT AND / EVERLASTING LIFE. The whole stands on an octagonal single-stepped base.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in Clapham Park outside the Church of the Holy Spirit as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on 14 November 1921 in a ceremony attended by the Bishop Suffragan of Woolwich and Major General Sir Cuthbert Wallace.
Clapham Park War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Design: as an imposing and dignified war memorial in the form of a Calvary cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Church of the Holy Spirit.
Other nearby listed buildings