History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pickwell War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Somerby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6942 / 52°41'39"N

Longitude: -0.8403 / 0°50'24"W

OS Eastings: 478476

OS Northings: 311353

OS Grid: SK784113

Mapcode National: GBR BPX.4CF

Mapcode Global: WHFKF.2J4X

Entry Name: Pickwell War Memorial

Listing Date: 22 December 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1441836

Location: Somerby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Parish: Somerby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Pickwell All Saints (Burrough Hill Parishes)

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1925, with Second World War additions.

Description

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1925, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: of rock-faced Aberdeen granite with a base of Mountsorrel granite.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial takes the form of a Celtic cross which stands on a triangular-shaped traffic island at the W end of Main Street, at its junction with Somerby Road and Leesthorpe Road. It comprises a three-step base, supporting a rough-hewn shallow pedestal, trapezoidal plinth, and tall shaft which tapers in rectangular section to a Celtic wheel-head cross. The E and W faces of the shaft both bear the relief of a Sword of Sacrifice. The First World War dedication is inscribed on the W face of the plinth and reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918. / [NAMES]. The E face bears the single name of a Second World War casualty and is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF / COL. L.P.G. KELLY, M.C., / (OF LEESTHORPE HALL) / WHO GAVE HIS LIFE IN THE / SECOND WORLD WAR / 1939 - 1945.

The memorial is surrounded on all four sides by low plinth walling with square corner bosses. Of Mountsorrel granite, it originally supported iron railings, now removed.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 26 July 1925 in the Leicestershire parish of Pickwell to honour seven local men who died during the conflict. A report of the unveiling ceremony published in the Grantham Journal on 1 August 1925 states that the delay in erecting the memorial was caused by a lack of funds from such a small parish. It was made by an unknown Aberdeen firm and was placed in position by Mr Stimson, a monumental mason of Somerby. Following the Second World War a further single name was added.

Reasons for Listing

Pickwell War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1925, with a Second Word War addition, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.