This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6326 / 52°37'57"N
Longitude: 1.1799 / 1°10'47"E
OS Eastings: 615283
OS Northings: 308616
OS Grid: TG152086
Mapcode National: GBR VG2.YZL
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.3334
Entry Name: Bawburgh War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442051
Location: Bawburgh, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bawburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bawburgh St Mary and St Walstan
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, 1920, by J R Childs of Norwich, with Second World War additions.
War memorial. Probably erected in 1920.
MATERIALS: pink granite
DESCRIPTION: Bawburgh war memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary and St Walstan Church, Church Street, Bawburgh, South Norfolk. It is prominently situated by the path leading to the church. It comprises a polished wheel-head cross of pink granite on a tapering plinth that is raised on a square-sectioned black base with incised inscriptions on the plinth. The memorial stands 2.3m high.
The inscription reads: TO/ THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/ ECCLUS XLIV.14/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
Bawburgh's memorial was sited in the churchyard with the funds being raised by public subscription. The memorial was presumably erected in 1920, and certainly before October 1920, when it was photographed with floral tributes for the Thetford and Watton Times and People’s Weekly Journal.
It was decided that it should take the form of a wheel-headed pink granite cross, and should be placed by the path leading to the church, facing the way the parishioners would enter. It was made by J R Childs of Chapel Field Road, Norwich and was unveiled in October 1920 by Mr Barclay of Colney Hall and dedicated by the vicar and the Dean of Norwich.
The memorial commemorates seven local servicemen who fell in the First World War and two men who fell in the Second World War.
Bawburgh War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary and St Walstan’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a simple but well-executed polished granite cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Mary and St Walstan (Grade I), Church Farmhouse (Grade II*) and Church Cottage (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings