Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3922 / 52°23'31"N
Longitude: 1.0554 / 1°3'19"E
OS Eastings: 607995
OS Northings: 281520
OS Grid: TM079815
Mapcode National: GBR THH.X90
Mapcode Global: VHL96.74TH
Entry Name: Bressingham War Memorial
Location: Bressingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP22
District: South Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 21 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442118
First World War memorial, 1922, designed by Messrs Cooley and Son, of Diss, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: Bressingham War Memorial is located at the roadside, at the junction of High Road and School Road, Bressingham, South Norfolk. It is prominently situated, facing the street. It comprises an obelisk with a wreath carved in relief toward the top with dates 1914 - 19, joining a moulded, slightly-tapering plinth with recessed First World War inscription panel, atop a two-stepped base bearing the epitaph and Second World War inscription. A plaque on the right side of the monument adds a second epitaph.
The inscription is in blacked, incised lettering and reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF BRESSINGHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS/ FRIENDS/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The plaque to the right reads WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 6 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
Although a memorial tablet was put up in the Parish Church, Bressingham parishioners wished for a monument and so, in 1921, began to decide on what form that should take and started to raise funds.
Bressingham’s War Memorial Committee first met on the 5 October 1921. Representatives from all the local faith groups were present. Five different locations for the memorial were suggested, and the 70 attendees asked to state their preference. The most popular selection was for a space outside the blacksmith’s shop, where the memorial stood until the 1940s, when it was relocated to its present position. The memorial was originally surrounded by eight posts and railings but these were not retained in the relocation.
Designs by three local companies were considered, and the design by Messrs Cooley and Son, monumental masons, of Diss was chosen. It cost £81 10s.
The memorial was unveiled on 15 October, 1922 by Colonel Edward Mornement.
Bressingham War Memorial, which is situated at the junction of High Road and School Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a dignified and elegant Portland stone obelisk executed to a high standard.
Other nearby listed buildings