This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5536 / 52°33'12"N
Longitude: 1.2178 / 1°13'4"E
OS Eastings: 618244
OS Northings: 299945
OS Grid: TM182999
Mapcode National: GBR VH3.W5T
Mapcode Global: VHL8J.225S
Entry Name: Bracon Ash and Hethel War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442267
Location: Bracon Ash, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Parish: Bracon Ash
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bracon Ash St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, circa 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: Bracon Ash and Hethel War Memorial is located at the roadside at the junction of B1113 (The Street) and Hawkes Lane, Bracon Ash, South Norfolk. It is prominently situated on a triangular green in front of the village hall. It comprises a granite obelisk of three sections, standing on a square-sectioned rough-hewn plinth that has a dressed cornice and recessed smooth panels bearing blacked leaded inscriptions. This stands on a low, single-step base. The memorial is enclosed by four low, rough-hewn, four-sided grey granite posts which are connected by metal bars.
The inscription is in leaded lettering and on the front face reads TO OUR/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD/ 1914 + 1919. To the right are the names of the fallen of the First World War above the inscription “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS: THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”. To the rear is SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 + 1945/ (NAME). The final side reads (NAME).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
Bracon Ash and Hethel War Memorial was situated on a neutral piece of village green at the junction of The Street and Hawkes Lane. The memorial was presumably erected circa 1920. The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The name of one man who fell in the Second World War was added later.
Bracon Ash and Hethel War Memorial, which is situated at the roadside at the junction of B1113 (The Street) and Hawkes Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple but well-executed granite obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings