Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4828 / 52°28'58"N
Longitude: 1.6071 / 1°36'25"E
OS Eastings: 645015
OS Northings: 293328
OS Grid: TM450933
Mapcode National: GBR YT3.C40
Mapcode Global: VHM6C.SVYK
Entry Name: Aldeby War Memorial
Location: Aldeby, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR34
District: South Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 20 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442286
First World War memorial, circa 1920, with Second World War additions.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: Aldeby War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, St Mary's Road, Aldeby, South Norfolk. It is prominently situated by the churchyard wall and path leading to the church. It comprises a wheel-head cross on a plinth with two-stepped base. It has a smooth face to the front of the plinth bearing inscriptions in leaded lettering.
The inscription is in leaded lettering and reads IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF ALDEBY/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED/ IN THE CHURCH/ 1914 – 1918/ AND/ 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
In April 1919 suggestions for a war memorial for Aldeby were discussed and recorded in the Parochial Church Council minutes, with a memorial tablet in the church, a parish room, and a clock in the church tower being mentioned. It was decided that it would be well to wait until peace was settled before taking definite steps. Eventually it was resolved that a tablet recording the names of the 23 men from the three parishes of Aldeby, Wheatacre, and Burgh St Peter who had fallen should be erected in the church and if funds permitted, some further memorial should also be erected.
Aldeby memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected circa 1920. The memorial commemorates 23 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and six men who fell in the Second World War, but it does not bear names. The inscription states that it is dedicated to the men named inside the Church of St Mary. The church contains two marble plaques bearing these names.
Aldeby War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple but well-executed granite cross;
* Group value: with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary and the Grade II-listed Priory Farmhouse and outhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings