This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4048 / 52°24'17"N
Longitude: 1.0354 / 1°2'7"E
OS Eastings: 606572
OS Northings: 282868
OS Grid: TM065828
Mapcode National: GBR THG.BKN
Mapcode Global: VHKCJ.WTQB
Entry Name: Fersfield War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442287
Location: Bressingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP22
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bressingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Fersfield
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial unveiled on 13 February 1921.
Fersfield War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, High Street, Fersfield, Norfolk. It is prominently situated at the churchyard entrance, facing visitors as they enter the gates. It comprises a slender wheel head cross on a tall, capped, four-sided plinth with three-stepped base below. The plinth bears the inscriptions to the front face. The memorial appears to have been unaltered since it was unveiled.
The inscription reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT/ WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO/ MAN THAN THIS THAT A/ MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
Fersfield War Memorial Committee was chaired by the Reverend C E Woode, and the Honorary Secretary, who collected the public subscriptions, was a Mr Boggis. Fersfield, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was erected in 1921, and appears to be unaltered. The memorial commemorates four local servicemen who fell in the First World War.
The memorial was paid for by public subscription, and by collection at the unveiling service. It was erected by Messrs Cooley and Son, the work costing £49. The remaining balance of the war memorial fund, of £2 7s 7d was sent to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. The memorial was unveiled by Colonel Mornement and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Norwich on Sunday, 13 February 1921.
Fersfield War Memorial, which is situated in St Andrew’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple but well-executed stone cross;
* Group value: with the Grade I- listed Church of St Andrew, the Grade II-listed Fersfield Rectory and the Grade II-listed Hall Cottages.
Other nearby listed buildings