This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8169 / 52°49'0"N
Longitude: 1.2869 / 1°17'12"E
OS Eastings: 621587
OS Northings: 329437
OS Grid: TG215294
Mapcode National: GBR VD3.G5H
Mapcode Global: WHMSN.RG0B
Entry Name: Banningham War Memorial
Location: Colby, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 23 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442367
First World War memorial, c.1920.
DESCRIPTION: Banningham War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Botolph’s, Colby Road, Banningham. It is prominently situated in the churchyard, visible from the road through the village by the north-east corner of the church. The memorial comprises a foliate Latin cross on a moulded plinth with a three-stepped base. The upper two steps of the base have an upper lip. It has incised inscriptions to the plinth and upper step.
The inscription is incised and reads: (to the plinth) 1914 – 1919/ (below this, to the upper step:) TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF BANNINGHAM/ WHO FELL IN THE WAR/ (to the left side of the upper step:) (four First World War names, A-N), (to the right side of the upper step:) (four First World War names, P-S).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such war memorial was raised at Banningham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Banningham memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected c.1920. The memorial commemorates eight local servicemen who fell in the First World War.
The memorial was to take the form of a cross, and was situated in St Botolph’s churchyard at the north-east corner of the church. It appears to be little altered since it was erected, as no Second World War names have been added.
Banningham War Memorial, which is situated in St Botolph’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a small but fine foliate Latin cross with very good incised lettering;
* Group value: with the Church of St Botolph (Grade I) and the Old Rectory (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings