This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6218 / 52°37'18"N
Longitude: 0.5281 / 0°31'41"E
OS Eastings: 571230
OS Northings: 305668
OS Grid: TF712056
Mapcode National: GBR P6S.NC5
Mapcode Global: WHKR0.2CRF
Entry Name: Barton Bendish War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442368
Location: Barton Bendish, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Parish: Barton Bendish
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Barton Bendish St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
First World War memorial, c.1920, with Second World War and later additions.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: Barton Bendish War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, Church Road, Barton Bendish. It is prominently situated by the churchyard wall and facing passers-by, revealed by a lowered section of the churchyard wall that has had railings inserted into the gap. The memorial comprises a wheel-head cross with a Sword of Sacrifice, on a plinth with a two-stepped base. It has a smooth face to the lower section of the shaft, bearing the First World War dedication, and beneath this a similarly smooth face to the front of the plinth, which bears the First World War names. The Second World War inscription was added to the top of the upper step to the base. More recently, a new plaque has been added to the foot of the memorial, bearing additional First World War names.
The inscription reads: (shaft:) GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ SACRED/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE/ GALLANT FALLEN/ FROM THIS PARISH/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE/ (plinth:) (NAMES)/ (upper step:) 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ (slab at foot of memorial:) 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ THIS MEMORIAL WAS RESTORED/ IN COMMEMORATION OF THE/ SILVER JUBILEE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II/ 1977.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 6 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such war memorial was raised at Barton Bendish as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Barton Bendish memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. It was located close to the churchyard wall, facing out, and part of the churchyard wall was lowered in order that passers-by could read the inscriptions on the lower part of the monument. The memorial was presumably erected c.1920.
The memorial originally commemorated 17 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, but the names of four men who fell in the Second World War were added later. More recently, an additional six First World War casualties were named on a slab, placed at the foot of the plinth.
In 1977, the memorial was restored to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. The memorial plot was renovated in 2013, with chippings being placed within a low kerb surrounding the memorial.
Barton Bendish War Memorial, which is situated in St Andrew’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple but well-executed granite cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Andrew (Grade I) and the Old Post Office and adjacent Cottage (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings