Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6256 / 52°37'32"N
Longitude: 1.2212 / 1°13'16"E
OS Eastings: 618115
OS Northings: 307961
OS Grid: TG181079
Mapcode National: GBR VGB.9LL
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.Q8QJ
Entry Name: Colney War Memorial
Location: Colney, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR4
District: South Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 20 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442409
First World War memorial, circa 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: polished pink granite.
DESCRIPTION: Colney War Memorial is located at the roadside of the Old Watton Road, opposite the Church of St Andrew, Colney, South Norfolk. It comprises a granite wheel-head cross on a plinth with moulded upper section, standing on a single-stepped base of a contrasting stone. The plinth bears the inscriptions in leaded lettering. The memorial is surrounded by a small paved area.
The principal dedicatory inscription is in leaded lettering on the front face of the plinth and reads ERECTED TO THE HONOURED AND/ PERPETUAL MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY/ UNTO DEATH IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ NO FEAR WAS THEIRS NOR DOUBT NOR HESITATION/ NO THOUGHT OF DANGER THAT THE DAY MUST BRING/ BUT COURAGE HIGH AND CALM DETERMINATION/ AND FAITH THAT DREADS NOT DEATH OR SUFFERING/ REST WELL DEAR SONS FOR AT THE GREAT AWAKING/ WHEN CHRIST SHALL CALL HIS SOLDIERS TO HIS SIDE/ HIS PROMISE STANDS THERE SHALL BE NO FORSAKING/ OF THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR HIM AND FIGHTING DIED.
The Second World War dedication is on the rear of the plinth and reads 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
Colney memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated near the parish church, in this case on a grassed area by the side of the Old Watton Road, facing the church. The new Watton Road passes behind the memorial. The memorial was presumably erected circa 1920. The memorial commemorates four local servicemen who fell in the First World War and two men who fell in the Second World War.
Colney War Memorial, which is situated at the roadside of the Old Watton Road, opposite the Church of St Andrew, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple but well-executed granite cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Andrew.
Other nearby listed buildings