This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7291 / 52°43'44"N
Longitude: 1.3577 / 1°21'27"E
OS Eastings: 626810
OS Northings: 319893
OS Grid: TG268198
Mapcode National: GBR WGH.VFK
Mapcode Global: WHMT2.TNPP
Entry Name: Coltishall and Hautbois War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442412
Location: Coltishall, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Coltishall
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Coltishall with Great Hautbois
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial unveiled on 8 August 1920 with Second World War additions.
MATERIALS: Hopton Wood stone.
DESCRIPTION: Coltishall and Hautbois War Memorial is located on a roadside, grassed bank, opposite Willow Cottages, High Street (B1150), Coltishall. It is prominently situated at the top of the bank, facing the High Street and approached by steps. The memorial comprises a c 4.8m high Celtic cross on a tapering shaft that is octagonal throughout most of its length but terminates with four sides at the bottom. The shaft joins a four-sided square plinth bearing inscriptions, below which is a three-stepped octagonal base. The Second World War names were added around the middle step of the base.
The inscription is incised and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN EVER LOVING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ COLTISHALL & HAUTBOIS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR KING & COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918// (NAMES)// 1939 – 1945// (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such war memorial was raised at Coltishall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
200 men out of a population estimated at 1,100 for the parishes of Coltishall and Great Hautbois joined up during the First World War. The memorial commemorates 32 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and six men who fell in the Second World War.
The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 8 August 1920. A service in the parish church was followed by a procession to the memorial. Lieutenant-Colonel Jickling unveiled the memorial, which was then dedicated by the Dean of Norwich who expressed the hope that “that beautiful and striking memorial, which, if it pleased God, would stand there in that beautiful spot to the end of time”. It was reported in the local press a few years after the unveiling of the memorial that, largely due to the voluntary efforts of a resident, Mr B Bean, who had lost three sons in the First World War (all named on the memorial), the memorial surroundings were extremely well-kept. Mr Bean tended to the surroundings every week.
Coltishall and Hautbois War Memorial, which is situated on a roadside, opposite Willow Cottages, High Street (B1150), Coltishall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple but elegant and well-executed stone cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Antiques Emporium and Adjoining House and the Grade II-listed The Little Shop and China Cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings