This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4196 / 50°25'10"N
Longitude: -5.0912 / 5°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 180506
OS Northings: 62311
OS Grid: SW805623
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.YPSL
Mapcode Global: FRA 077Y.6C9
Entry Name: Newquay War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442574
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, TR7
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Newquay
Church of England Diocese: Truro
First World War memorial unveiled on 24 May 1921 with Second World War and later additions.
The memorial is located in a prominent position on the headland overlooking Newquay Bay to the north and the town to the east and it comprises a cairn of granite blocks surmounted by a Latin cross on a two-stepped base. The memorial stands some 8m high.
The east face of the memorial bears the main inscription in incised, black-painted lettering on two smooth-polished rectangular panels edged with carved knotwork.
The inscription reads: NEWQUAY/ ERECTED THIS CROSS TO BEAR LASTING WITNESS/ TO HER SONS' SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ "AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"/ TO THE LASTING MEMORY ALSO OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
A further inscription tablet on the north face reads: THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED BY/ H.R.H. PRINCE OF WALES, DUKE OF CORNWALL/ ON TUESDAY MAY 24TH, 1921.
On the west face an inscription reads: THE OLD LOOK-OUT HOUSE/ AN ADMIRALTY BUILDING/ OF SOME ANTIQUITY/ STOOD ON THIS SITE.
The memorial stands in a circular enclosure defined by low granite posts and chain link fence.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Newquay as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was sited as a prominent landmark on the headland, constructed on the site of an earlier structure, a Napoleonic lookout, the remains of which are likely to exist in the foundations of the memorial. A watchtower is recorded on the 1840 Tithe Map and the site is enclosed by a curvilinear earthwork seen on aerial photographs taken in 1966.
The memorial cost £1000 and commemorates 89 fallen local men. It was unveiled on 24 May 1921 by HRH Prince of Wales KG, Duke of Cornwall. He stated that he knew what the memorial meant to the district, recording as it did the sacrifice of Newquay men who gave their lives in the war. The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Truro. Historic photographs show that the memorial was sited within a small enclosure defined by low granite posts and chain link fence.
Following the Second World War, an inscription dedicated to 59 men who lost their lives in that war, was added. Further names have since been added for one who fell at Aden (1964), one during the Falklands Conflict (1982) and one in Afghanistan (2006).
Newquay War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an impressive composition of an elegant and striking Latin cross set upon a towering granite cairn, occupying a dramatic cliff-top position.
Other nearby listed buildings