This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3725 / 51°22'20"N
Longitude: -0.1062 / 0°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 531915
OS Northings: 165414
OS Grid: TQ319654
Mapcode National: GBR GX.7X2
Mapcode Global: VHGRL.3RQR
Entry Name: War Memorial at Croydon Minster
Location: Croydon, London, CR0
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 27 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442680
War memorial in the form of a Portland stone cross on a pedestal, unveiled in 1922.
Tall ornamented cross of Portland stone, tapering at the bottom where it rests on a large stone plinth, on the front of which is the inscription: TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF THOSE / FROM THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES DURING THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918 / THEY DIED THAT / WE MIGHT LIVE. This rests on a two-step octagonal base set on a slightly raised dais section, replete with the two small steps leading up to the front of the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 3 March 2017.
The aftermath of the World Wars saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was raised in Croydon outside the Church of St John the Baptist, now Croydon Minister, as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was designed by Charles Marriott Oldrid Scott and unveiled on the 11 February 1922 in a ceremony attended by Leonard White-Thomson, Archdeacon of Canterbury. It was originally made of Chilmark stone, however this proved fragile and the memorial fell over and smashed in a storm circa 1930; it was then rebuilt in Portland stone. The memorial was moved to its present site in 1957 following road widening works on Church Road. A 1990 inspection judged the inscription to be in poor condition and covered with graffiti; at some point between then and 2016 the memorial was cleaned and refurbished.
The War Memorial at Croydon Minster, formerly known as the Church of St John the Baptist Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the First World War;
* Design: as an imposing Portland stone cross war memorial;
* Group value: with the Grade I listed Croydon Minster.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings