This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.36 / 51°21'35"N
Longitude: -0.1005 / 0°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 532349
OS Northings: 164033
OS Grid: TQ323640
Mapcode National: GBR GY.3BH
Mapcode Global: VHGRS.62QS
Entry Name: Whitgift School War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442708
Location: Croydon, London, CR2
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
London Borough Ward: Waddon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Croydon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Hopton Wood stone war memorial cross, with additional stone mural, in the grounds of Whitgift School.
FIRST WORLD WAR CROSS
A cross fleury atop a pillar, splaying at the bottom to rest on an octagonal plinth, all of Hopton Wood stone. The front face bears the inscription: IN / REMEMBRANCE / OF OUR DEAD / 1914 - 1919 / VINCIT QVI PATITVR; four of the other faces bear carvings of the shields of Whitgift School, Croydon, Surrey and Canterbury diocese. The plinth rests on an octagonal stone base.
SECOND WORLD WAR MURAL
A large rectangular mural depicting two globes, one for each hemisphere, between which is a cross fleury. Above this an inscription reads: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD; with '1939' and '1945' either side of the globes. At the bottom, to either side and between the globes, it reads: BY / SEA / LAND / AIR / VINCIT QVI PATITVR.
Vincit qui patitur is the motto of the school and is Latin for 'Who perseveres, conquers.'
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 March 2017.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2017
The aftermath of the World Wars saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was raised in at Whitgift School; it was unveiled on 11th March 1922 in a ceremony attended by the Archbishop of Canterbury Randall Davidson and Sir John Raynsford Longley, KCMG CB. It was designed and constructed by the Croydon-based funeral directors Ebbutt & Sons, with the assistance of local ex-servicemen. The memorial was moved in 1931, along with the school, from North End, Croydon to its current site in Haling Park. The adjacent mural for the Fallen of the Second World War, also by Ebutt's, was unveiled on 29th May 1949 in a ceremony attended by the Bishop Suffragan of Croydon Cuthbert Bardsley and Major-General W S Tope, CB, CBE.
Whitgift School War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the School, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a dignified cross of Hopton Wood stone, and a well-executed stone mural.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings