This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.784 / 52°47'2"N
Longitude: 1.012 / 1°0'43"E
OS Eastings: 603221
OS Northings: 324971
OS Grid: TG032249
Mapcode National: GBR S9G.JP5
Mapcode Global: WHLRL.J941
Entry Name: Foulsham War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443368
Location: Foulsham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Foulsham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Foulsham Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with Second World War additions. Portland stone obelisk, on a hexagonal plinth and two-stepped base.
MATERIALS: Portland Stone.
DESCRIPTION: Foulsham war memorial is located on Market Hill, at the junction of High Street and Reepham Road. The memorial comprises a slender hexagonal needle obelisk atop a hexagonal plinth with moulded cap and foot. That stands on a two-stepped, hexagonal, base. The Second World War commemorations are inscribed on a stone step laid at the foot of the plinth, carved in the form of a scroll.
The inscription to the front face of the plinth is incised and reads TO/ THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF THE PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. The commemorated First World War names are recorded on the other faces of the plinth. The Second World War inscription reads THESE ALSO MADE THE/ SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE/ WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ (10 NAMES).
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The memorial is enclosed by railings and a hexagonal block-paved and kerbed pavement.
Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the railings and hexagonal block-paved and kerbed pavement are not of special architectural or historic interest.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Foulsham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
A public meeting, chaired by a Mr E Holley, was held in the Council Schools on Friday 11 July 1919 to consider a war memorial for Foulsham. It was proposed that the Parish Council raise a levy to pay for the memorial. Reverend J Grand proposed that there not be a war memorial at all, but he was not supported. It was decided to raise funds for a war memorial by public subscription. Mr J Armour proposed that it be located on Market Hill, which it eventually was, by permission of Lord Hastings (Lord of the Manor). The memorial stands on the site of the medieval cross that had been pulled down in 1760.
The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 24 October 1920 by Rear-Admiral Sir Harry Stileman KBE in commemoration of 25 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The names of ten men who fell in the Second World War were later added.
Originally, the memorial was enclosed by railings and surrounded only by grass. The railings were at some time removed, the grassed area bounded by new kerbs; the whole of this area had posts and chains at its edges. Sometime since, railings were reinstated around the memorial, and the grassed area was block-paved over with concrete setts to allow its use as car parking space. A hexagonal paved and kerbed area, installed after 1978, surrounds the railings to protect the memorial from vehicles and to allow access to the memorial.
Foulsham War Memorial, which is situated on Market Hill, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant obelisk of Portland stone, with detailed mouldings and good inscriptions;
* Group Value: with numerous Grade II-listed buildings surrounding Market Hill.
Other nearby listed buildings