This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9734 / 52°58'24"N
Longitude: -1.2473 / 1°14'50"W
OS Eastings: 450642
OS Northings: 342046
OS Grid: SK506420
Mapcode National: GBR 8H7.PG8
Mapcode Global: WHDGQ.TJ7D
Entry Name: Strelley War Memorial
Listing Date: 21 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443539
Location: Strelley, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG8
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bilborough and Strelley
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
First World War Memorial.
First World War Memorial
PLAN: the memorial is located in the extended churchyard on the south-west side of Main Street opposite the Church of All Saints.
EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of a canopied calvary. It has a circular three-stepped base and a square, moulded pedestal with four recessed limestone tablets bearing inscriptions. One face is inscribed: REMEMBER BEFORE GOD/ THE GALLANT DEAD WHOSE NAMES/ ARE WRITTEN HERE THOUGH THEIR/ BODIES LIE IN OTHER LANDS/ AUGUST 1914-1918/ GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST/ AND LET LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE/ UPON THEM. Another face is inscribed: THEY LOVED NOT/ THEIR LIVES UNTO/ THE DEATH. The other two faces contain dedications to four men including their name, rank, age, place and date of death, and place of burial.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
The war memorial in Strelley commemorates the fallen from the First World War. It was designed by Cecil Greenwood Hare (1875-1932) who specialised in ecclesiastical buildings and church interiors. Hare was a pupil of George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) whom he joined as a partner in 1907. After Bodley’s death, Hare continued to work in the Bodleian idiom.
Strelley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: it is a well detailed memorial designed by Cecil Greenwood Hare, the pupil and partner of G. F. Bodley, who has ten listed buildings to his name;
* Group value: it has group value with the nearby All Saints Church (Grade I) and Strelley Hall and stables (both listed at Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings