History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Kington Langley War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington Langley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4909 / 51°29'27"N

Longitude: -2.1108 / 2°6'38"W

OS Eastings: 392404

OS Northings: 176891

OS Grid: ST924768

Mapcode National: GBR 2S4.F5Y

Mapcode Global: VH965.CSGF

Entry Name: Kington Langley War Memorial

Location: Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Parish: Kington Langley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Listing Date: 14 March 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1443615

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

The memorial takes the form of a granite wheel-head cross and tapering, rectangular-set shaft which stands on an ashlar plinth of two parts. The four faces of the upper plinth are inscribed: To the glory of God / and in memory of / those fallen in the WAR / A.D. 1914 TO 1918. The lower plinth records the names of the Fallen on the W and E faces; the S face is inscribed: A.D. 1939-1945 / (NAMES). The memorial is set on a square base that carries the inscriptions: “The LORD hath wrought great glory by them” and “Their name liveth for evermore” to its E and W faces respectively. It is enclosed by a stone kerb.


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 March 2017.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of St Peter’s Church at Kington Langley to commemorate the 13 local men who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled by Field-Marshall Lord Methuen on 24 October 1920; the dedication was performed by the Archdeacon of North Wiltshire. After the Second World War a further dedicatory inscription, together with the names of the two men who died in that conflict, was added.

Reasons for Listing

Kington Langley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-crafted memorial in the form of a wheel-head cross;
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.