This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0611 / 53°3'39"N
Longitude: -0.1358 / 0°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 525026
OS Northings: 353158
OS Grid: TF250531
Mapcode National: GBR HT1.2HW
Mapcode Global: WHHL8.WBJ5
Entry Name: Wildmore and Thornton Le Fen War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443731
Location: Wildmore, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: East Lindsey
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: The Brothertoft Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II-listed). It takes the form of a tall and slender stone Latin cross, 3.7m in height. The cross rises from a two-stage plinth, square on plan, which stands on a two-stepped octagonal base.
On the upper stage of the plinth a prayer is carved in relief around all four sides, reading (east) O LAMB OF GOD, (north) THAT TAKEST AWAY, (west) THE SINS OF THE WORLD, (south) GRANT THEM PEACE. On the lower stage the eastern and southern faces have further inscriptions in incised lettering. The eastern face has the inscription 1914-1918/ IN LOYAL MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE. The lowest line is carved in relief. On the southern face the inscription reads 1939-1945/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 6 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Wildmore as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the district who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 23 November 1920, in commemoration of nine local servicemen. The ceremony followed a special service at St Peter’s Church, after which the Bishop of Grantham, the Right Reverend John Edward Hine, unveiled the memorial and the Last Post was sounded by a bugler from the Lincolnshire Regiment. The memorial masons were Messrs Browning and Sons of Spilsby. Following the Second World War an additional inscription was added with three names.
Messrs Browning and Sons of Spilsby were responsible for a number of war memorials in east Lincolnshire, including those at East Kirkby (Grade II), Fishtoft (Grade II) and Stickney (Grade II).
Wildmore and Thornton Le Fen War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St Peter’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant stone memorial cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Peter (Grade II-listed).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.