This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4679 / 51°28'4"N
Longitude: -2.606 / 2°36'21"W
OS Eastings: 358004
OS Northings: 174497
OS Grid: ST580744
Mapcode National: GBR C5D.MN
Mapcode Global: VH88M.SC6K
Entry Name: Chandos Road War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443732
Location: Bristol, BS6
County: City of Bristol
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Cotham St Saviour with St Mary and St Paul, Clifton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
War memorial, erected 1920; re-sited in 2000.
War memorial, erected 1920; re-sited in 2000 and restored in 2014.
The war memorial takes the form of a roughly-hewn granite monolith with a pointed top and it is approximately 2m high. The upper part of the E face is dressed and inscribed, in black lettering, with the dedication: THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED / BY RELATIVES / TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / TO THE MEMORY OF THEIR DEAR ONES / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1920 / “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. Above is a bronze plaque depicting the Lamb of God. Two further dressed areas below the inscription bear the names of the Fallen. The monolith stands upon a stone plinth and is raised above ground level.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: there is a stone kerb to the N and E of the memorial. To the S is a section of walling topped with railings which was part of the boundary to the former churchyard, and to the rear is a boundary wall to No.23 Chandos Road.
Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the walls to the rear (W) and S of the war memorial are not of special architectural or historic interest and are not included in the listing.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was erected in 1920 within the grounds of St Saviour’s Church on Chandos Road in Cotham, Bristol by relatives of the Fallen. It commemorates 48 local people who died during the conflict. Two further names were omitted from the war memorial, but were recorded on a memorial plaque that was originally in the church but has since been re-sited in Cotham parish church.
In c1998 St Saviour’s Church was converted to apartments. The war memorial was subsequently moved to its current location at the S end of a footpath between Chandos Road and Woodfield Road, adjacent to its original position. It was restored in 2014.
The war memorial on Chandos Road, Cotham is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: the simple design, in the form of a large granite monolith, is fitting for its purpose as a memorial structure.
Other nearby listed buildings