This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4376 / 51°26'15"N
Longitude: -2.0532 / 2°3'11"W
OS Eastings: 396401
OS Northings: 170961
OS Grid: ST964709
Mapcode National: GBR 2SS.XBJ
Mapcode Global: VHB41.C4F7
Entry Name: Derry Hill War Memorial
Location: Calne Without, Wiltshire, SN11
Parish: Calne Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Listing Date: 20 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443825
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, and altered after the Second World War.
A war memorial erected after the First World War to commemorate 21 local men who died whilst serving their country during that war, and subsequently it also commemorates a further 6 men who died whilst serving their country during the Second World War.
The memorial is constructed in stone and comprises a tall shaft, set on an octagonal stepped base, topped with an elaborately carved Gothic-style finial depicting St George and the Dragon. Each face of the base is inscribed, reading:
1914 - 1918 / LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND / WE FOR ENGLAND DIED / (NAMES) / 1939 - 1945 / GREAT WAR / ROLL OF HONOUR/ (NAMES)
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Derry Hill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled by Lady Lansdowne on 14 May 1920 and commemorates 21 local men who died whilst serving their country in the First World War. Following the Second World War the original inscription was re-cut and a further inscription added to commemorate 6 men who died whilst serving their country in that conflict.
The war memorial was again repaired and cleaned in 2015.
Derry Hill War Memorial, unveiled in 1920 to commemorate 21 local men who died in the First World War, and later altered to commemorate a further 6 men who died in the Second World War, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of the First- and Second World War on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in those conflicts;
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised stone war memorial, which takes the form of a tall shaft topped with a Gothic style carved finial depicting St George and the Dragon;
* Group value: with the adjacent Village Hall, listed Grade II and in forming part of the setting of Bowood, a Grade I registered landscape park.
Other nearby listed buildings