This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5992 / 52°35'57"N
Longitude: 1.1892 / 1°11'20"E
OS Eastings: 616076
OS Northings: 304936
OS Grid: TG160049
Mapcode National: GBR VGP.1GF
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.7XJR
Entry Name: Hethersett War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443937
Location: Hethersett, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Hethersett
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hethersett St Remigius
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with Second World War additions. Portland stone cross (after Sir Reginald Blomfield) on a three-stepped base.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: Hethersett War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Remigius (Grade II*-listed). It is prominently situated by the churchyard path, to the north of the church. Based on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s Cross of Sacrifice design, it comprises a tall cross, octagonal in section, with a moulded foot that rises from an octagonal plinth. The front face of the cross bears a reversed sword. The plinth stands on a three-stepped octagonal base. The lowest step has a slightly projecting cornice for the placing of floral tributes. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.
The principal dedicatory inscription reads 1914 - 1918/ IN/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO MADE THE/ GREAT SACRIFICE/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE. The commemorated names are recorded, with date of death, around the plinth. The Second World War dedication reads 1939 - 1945/ IN/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO MADE THE/ GREAT SACRIFICE/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE with the names and dates of death listed on the plinth faces to either side. The 1956 inscription is recorded to the final face of the plinth.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Hethersett as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The community had begun to think about commemoration as early as December 1918, proposing to build a war shrine to mark the service of those local men who had died in the conflict. A War Memorial Committee formed in 1919. After considering alternatives, it was eventually decided that the memorial should take the form of a cross and be situated within the churchyard. Some £162 was collected from households to contribute to the cost.
The memorial was built by FG Want and Sons of Dereham Road, Norwich, and unveiled on 11 July 1920 by Canon Pelham, assisted by the Rector, Reverend F Jarvis. The memorial commemorates 18 local servicemen who died in the First World War, 12 men who died in the Second World War, and one man killed in the Cyprus Emergency of 1956.
The name of the casualty of the Cyprus Emergency was added in 2011. In May 2014, the Parish Council decided to add another First World War name and to have the memorial cleaned.
Hethersett War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a sensitive adaptation of Sir Reginald Blomfield’s Cross of Sacrifice, in Portland stone;
* Group value: with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Remigius.
Other nearby listed buildings