Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4685 / 51°28'6"N
Longitude: -0.2122 / 0°12'43"W
OS Eastings: 524280
OS Northings: 175904
OS Grid: TQ242759
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.C5L
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.8CP3
Entry Name: Fulham (All Saints) War Memorial
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Palace Riverside
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 20 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1444981
War memorial in the form of a canopied cross.
Oak cross with bronze sculpture of Christ and INRI scroll. This rests on a platform of Portland stone, the front face of which has the bronze inscription "1914 - 1918". Over the cross is an elaborate Portland stone crocketed canopy, with crown design to the front, supported by four pinnacled columns.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 21 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in Fulham at All Saints Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. The memorial was unveiled in May 1923 in a ceremony attended by the Bishop of London Arthur Winnington-Ingram, local clergy and councillors, and the Mayor of Fulham GF Clark. It cost £800 and was designed to mirror the main doorway to the church. There are no names on the memorial as these are recorded separately inside the church, and GKS Marshall, the church Vicar at the time, wished to have a plain and simple memorial.
In February 1998 the bronze Christ sculpture was stolen, however it was recovered and re-attached later that year. In 2016 the memorial was refurbished and cleaned with grant aid from the War Memorials Trust, with some replacement stone work being completed by stone carver James Kirby.
Fulham (All Saints) War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the First World War;
* Design: as an unusual and attractive memorial in the form of a canopied cross;
* Group value: with the adjacent Grade II*-listed All Saints Church, numerous Grade II-listed tombs and the Grade II-listed war memorial in the Vicarage Gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings