History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton in the Isle War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3895 / 52°23'22"N

Longitude: 0.1268 / 0°7'36"E

OS Eastings: 544830

OS Northings: 278954

OS Grid: TL448789

Mapcode National: GBR L55.2XD

Mapcode Global: VHHJB.46XL

Entry Name: Sutton in the Isle War Memorial

Location: Sutton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Parish: Sutton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Listing Date: 6 April 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1445139

Summary

First World War memorial. Built in 1921, to the design of the architect R Wade.

Description

First World War memorial. Built in 1921, to the design of the architect R Wade.

MATERIALS: limestone.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial comprises a Latin cross surmounting a lantern, set atop a tapering octagonal limestone shaft. The four faces of the lantern are formed by geometric triangular trefoils surmounted by fleur de lis. The shaft sits on a square plinth with flared pilasters at each corner, and moulded footings. The base is formed by three steps sat within a small square garden.

The west face of the plinth is inscribed IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / THIS VILLAGE/ WHO LAID / DOWN THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE / GREAT WARS / 1914 – 1918 / 1939 – 1945. The base below is inscribed THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Other faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the Fallen.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 June 2017.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss

One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, Sutton in the Isle in 1921. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated by the Bishop of Ely on 28th January 1921. The ceremony was attended by Captain Colin Reith Coote DSO MP.

Reasons for Listing

Sutton in the Isle War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of St Andrew’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: an elegant Latin stone cross set atop a lantern on a tall limestone shaft;
* Group value: with the Grade I listed St Andrew’s Church and Grade II houses on High Street.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.