Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8393 / 51°50'21"N
Longitude: 0.0558 / 0°3'20"E
OS Eastings: 541730
OS Northings: 217634
OS Grid: TL417176
Mapcode National: GBR LCN.NXV
Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.X1C9
Entry Name: Granary at Camwell Hall Farm
Location: Much Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG10
District: East Hertfordshire
Parish: Much Hadham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Listing Date: 16 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1445216
Timber-framed granary probably dating to the C16.
Granary probably dating to the C16.
MATERIALS: timber frame supported on a brick plinth and clad in weatherboarding under a pitched roof covered with corrugated iron.
PLAN: the granary has a square plan. It is situated to the north-west of the farmhouse on the south side of the track known as Chase Way.
The adjoining C20 extensions on the north-east and south-east sides are not included in the Listing.
EXTERIOR: the two-storey, two-bay building comprises an enclosed granary raised over what was probably an open-fronted cartshed. The weatherboarding has been replaced and patched up, although the wider tarred section on the north-east front appears to predate that on the other elevations. The lower section of weatherboarding on the rear south-west elevation is replaced with corrugated iron. The south-east elevation is clad in MDF boards where it has become an internal wall adjoining the C20 extension. The first floor is accessed on this elevation via an external ladder. There are opposing unglazed, two-light openings at first-floor level on the north-east and south-west sides. The north-east opening retains one straight-sided diamond mullion per light, whilst the other has two mortices in the sill and lintel of each light indicating the position of the former mullions. It also has shutters with strap hinges, although one has recently become detached (it has been retained). The open-fronted north-east elevation has two timber posts supporting a substantial bressummer that has either been reused as the underside has mortices – one for a wide curved brace – or later adapted.
INTERIOR: the close-studded timber frame has a crown-post roof with clasped purlins and curved braces underneath the central, cambered tie beam. The rafters survive as does the crown plate in the north-west bay. A small number of the timbers have been reused and have redundant mortices and recesses. Some of the plaster from the infill panels remains. The main jowled posts and substantial wall plates survive, along with the joists that support the wide oak floorboards. At ground-floor level there is primary bracing on all three walls, although the bracing on the south-east end of the rear wall has been replaced, along with two of the studs. At first-floor level there is an arched brace on the south-east end of the front wall.
The granary forms part of a historic farmstead that has evolved from a medieval moated site. The timber-framed farmhouse (Grade II* listed) dates to the mid- or late C15. The granary probably dates to the C16 based on the evidence of the straight diamond mullions and the substantial scantling of the timber frame. On the Tithe Map of 1838 it is shown as a small building with a square plan to the north-west of the farmhouse, and there are numerous farm buildings to the north and south-east. By the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey (OS) map of 1880, the granary has been extended with an L-shaped addition on the south-east side. The farm buildings to the south-east have been removed whilst those to the north have been rebuilt with four parallel ranges which form three yards. This barn and outbuildings are listed at Grade II. There is no change to the footprint of the granary on the second edition OS map of 1898 but on the third edition of 1921 a small extension has been built on the north-east side. This, along with the C19 L-shaped range, has since been rebuilt.
The timber-framed granary at Camwell Hall Farm, probably dating to the C16, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a well preserved and early surviving example of a timber-framed granary, retaining a legible plan form;
* Proportion of original fabric: the timber frame is substantially complete, retaining a high proportion of its crown post roof, wall frames, and details such as the diamond mullions;
* Group value: it is an integral element in the historic farmstead and has strong group value with the Grade II* listed C15 farmhouse and Grade II listed C19 barn and outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings