This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1822 / 53°10'55"N
Longitude: -3.337 / 3°20'13"W
OS Eastings: 310747
OS Northings: 365841
OS Grid: SJ107658
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.3KX7
Mapcode Global: WH772.Q84T
Entry Name: Capel y Dyffryn
Location: ¾ km north of Llandyrnog village, west of the crossroads, at south side of road. Low wall and railings at front; former manse and school/vestry at west.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Listing Date: 19 July 1966
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 750
Capel-y-dyffryn was built in 1836 for the Calvinistic Methodists as successor to a chapel built at Cefn Bithel in 1777.
A chapel of long-side-entry type, but nearly square plan, set back from the road behind a front yard. It is roughcast rendered and slate roofed. Tile ridge (and a verge of tiles at the right side). The front elevation is symmetrical with 2 plaques centrally, flanked by round-headed windows and doors. The windows are tall, of sash type below transom, with 30 panes; interlaced glazing bars above the transoms and above the door lintels. Eight-panel double doors.
The top plaque is original and identifies the chapel and gives its date; the lower is a C20 monument to Robert Lloyd of Plas Ashpool, d1792, a leader of early Methodism locally.
The chapel is entered by symmetrical doors in the north wall and by internal timber porches which flank the set fawr and pulpit.
The seating is plain and unornamented, octagonally planned and strongly raked. Three forward facing pews at the front have a central division. At the 2 rear corners there are three additional higher pews to maximise the seating. The panelling of the entrance porches is also plain and unornamented.
The set fawr is the only gated pew. Pulpit at centre with simply decorated panelled front, rounded and reeded corners and moulded cornice. Short balustrade each side with short flights of steps. Decorative plasterwork at rear of pulpit with reeded architrave and panels recalling the detail of the exterior doors.
A good late example of a chapel with long-wall access which has retained its character and has a good well-preserved plain interior
Other nearby listed buildings