This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7937 / 53°47'37"N
Longitude: -2.2408 / 2°14'26"W
OS Eastings: 384234
OS Northings: 433066
OS Grid: SD842330
Mapcode National: GBR DSSK.NT
Mapcode Global: WHB7X.KX52
Entry Name: Market Cross and Stocks in Garden of Burnley College of Adult Education Centre
Listing Date: 10 November 1951
Last Amended: 19 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466988
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD8433SW BANK PARADE
906-1/10/13 (East side)
10/11/51 Market cross and stocks in garden of
Burnley College Adult Education
(Formerly Listed as:
Steps of market cross and old stocks
in the grounds of Old Grammar School)
Formerly known as: Steps of market cross & old stocks, near
junction of Bank Parade and Church St BANK PARADE.
Base of former market cross, with remains of former stocks.
Cross erected c1617, and stocks said to have been constructed
in earlier C16, both in former market place to east of Church
of St Peter (qv) and removed to this site c1881. Gritstone.
The base of the cross is octagonal, with one step, a 3-course
plinth of large blocks, and a large moulded monolithic
pedestal. The remains of the stocks, built close to the cross
so that its step served as the seat, consist of 2 low jambs
and a damaged 2-part sill cut away in the centre.
HISTORY: last used in 1865.
Listing NGR: SD8423433066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings