This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6154 / 51°36'55"N
Longitude: -1.7805 / 1°46'49"W
OS Eastings: 415295
OS Northings: 190753
OS Grid: SU152907
Mapcode National: GBR 4TP.LPB
Mapcode Global: VHB37.3N2H
Plus Code: 9C3WJ689+5R
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318230
Location: Blunsdon, Swindon, SN26
Civil Parish: Blunsdon St Andrew
Built-Up Area: Broad Blunsdon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Broad Blunsdon
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5410 BLUNSDON ST ANDREW HIGH STREET
Church of St Leonard
SU 1590 21/74 26.1.55
Four bay nave and south aisle. Two bay chancel. C15 west tower. Present structure
probably C13 in origin but had extensive restoration by Butterfield 1870. Built
of rubble with stone slate roof.
Dividing buttresses to nave. Gabled ashlar porch to left with pointed doorway;
a similar doorway with rounded label ends on north side of nave. A variety of
windows, mostly restored; one pretty circa 1300 small geometrical tracery window
to right on south side. Chancel has south aisle and gabled vestry to north.
Four stage tower rendered on moulded plinth. Parapet of pierced quatrefoils
probably circa 1870. Diagonal buttresses. Corbel heads to cornice, blind tracery
to belfry window heads. Contemporary 4 centre arched doorway with ancient bar
and carved spandrels.
Interior: low cylindrical piers with round abaci to double chamfered circa 1300
Roofs: 2 versions of truss rafter former waggon roofs. C17 panelled 3-bay screen
to tower with balustraded parapet and top cartouche. Under the tower is the
John Potenger memorial (died 1733) by Peter Scheemakers, marble with cherubs.
Listing NGR: SU1529590753
Other nearby listed buildings