This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5779 / 51°34'40"N
Longitude: -1.8017 / 1°48'6"W
OS Eastings: 413839
OS Northings: 186577
OS Grid: SU138865
Mapcode National: GBR YN3.1H
Mapcode Global: VHB3D.QLDR
Entry Name: Manor House and Manor Cottage
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023468
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318690
Location: Central Swindon North, Swindon, SN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Rodbourne Cheney
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Rodbourne Cheney
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CHENEY MANOR ROAD,
SU 18 NW SWINDON
1/30 Manor House and Manor Cottage
House, now 2 dwellings. Late C16 to C20. Coursed Swindon stone
rubble and squared quoins. C18 section with limestone ashlar
quoins and limestone rubble used decoratively with Swindon stone.
Stone stacks with diamond brick shafts. Stone tiles and ridges.
Core building late C16, 2 bays with offset room having wide gable
to front. In C18 lengthened by 1 bay and refronted. Early C19
dairy extension to left with hayloft over, and late C19 brick
addition to rear with service rooms. C20 lean-to porch with
cloaks. All 2-storey. Core building has hollow chamfered stone-
mullioned windows, and 3-light cross windows at rear, with pointed
relieving arches. Gable now has off-centre C19 tripartite 4-pane
sashes. C18 remodelling of right wing has 3 bays 16-pane sashes in
flush quoined surrounds and central flat roofed porch having
original doorcase reset forward. Original dairy to left has 16-pane
sash and casement window. Rear late C19 service addition part
covers original windows.
Internally, C17 panelled first floor room with Jacobean royal arms
over fireplace. Ground floor large inglenook fireplace. There are
Some minor alterations to the building now taking place (July 1985).
Listing NGR: SU1383986577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings