History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Armstrong monument in the south-west corner of the churchyard, Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5612 / 51°33'40"N

Longitude: -1.794 / 1°47'38"W

OS Eastings: 414374

OS Northings: 184717

OS Grid: SU143847

Mapcode National: GBR YP9.M7

Mapcode Global: VHB3L.V1F1

Plus Code: 9C3WH664+F9

Entry Name: Armstrong monument in the south-west corner of the churchyard, Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 23 April 1986

Last Amended: 22 June 2020

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318714

Location: Central Swindon South, Swindon, SN1

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

CHURCH PLACE
SU 1484 NW SWINDON
5/54 Armstrong monument in south-east
corner of churchyard, Church of St;
Mark
II

Obelisk, 1877, granite with inscription "In loving memory of Joseph
Armstrong who died 5th June 1877, aged 60". Armstrong was the
second superintendent of the locomotive works, and introduced the
carriage works to Swindon. Included for historic interest.


Listing NGR: SU1437484717

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.