History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cricketers Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5614 / 51°33'41"N

Longitude: -1.7914 / 1°47'29"W

OS Eastings: 414556

OS Northings: 184749

OS Grid: SU145847

Mapcode National: GBR YPP.QR

Mapcode Global: VHB3L.W0TT

Plus Code: 9C3WH665+HC

Entry Name: Cricketers Public House

Listing Date: 17 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318743

Location: Central Swindon South, Swindon, SN1

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/04/2020

SU 1484 NE
No. 14 (Cricketers Public House)

In order to house the workforce for the new Great Western Railway works, IK Brunel designed a new village to the south of the railway line. Brunel’s early layout drawings of 1840 show a grid similar to the final plan of 12 terraces in six blocks on either side of the High Street (from 1893 Emlyn Square). Construction started in 1842, and by 1855 most of the buildings had been completed. Houses and cottages of different types were built, as well as lodging houses. Brunel himself designed only the first block of 1842 (4-25 Bristol Street); as it was visible from the railway line, this is in a more decorative style than the others.
The financial difficulties of the contractors JD & C Rigby, who undertook to build 300 cottages but only completed 130, delayed the completion of the village until the 1850s. The cottages to the west of Emlyn Square were built first (1842-1843), followed by those on the east side (1845-1847). The end blocks towards Emlyn Square, containing corner shops on the ground floor, were built in 1845-1847, and the remainder, mostly end blocks on the outer ends of the streets, were built in 1853-55. In 1966, the local authority acquired the cottages from British Rail and restored them. The village is one of Britain’s best-preserved and architecturally most ambitious railway settlements.

Public house, 1846 for Great Western Railway Company. Limestone ashlar quoins and coursed rubble. Slate roof. Three storey corner block, three bays to Exeter Street, corner splay and one bay to Emlyn Square with attached two-storey section with door. Ground floor C19 four-light window with columnar glazing bars and basket arches. Door in corner splay, now blocked. Four-pane sashes to first floor with label mould. Keyed oeil- de-boeuf in gables. Attached section of three-bays, perhaps originally built as dwelling, now part of public house. Chamfered plinth and windows with labels and four-pane sashes to ground floor, sixteen-pane sashes above.

Listing NGR: SU1455084748

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.