This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5513 / 51°33'4"N
Longitude: -1.7733 / 1°46'23"W
OS Eastings: 415815
OS Northings: 183629
OS Grid: SU158836
Mapcode National: GBR YSG.DD
Mapcode Global: VHB3M.68WL
Entry Name: Corn Exchange and Town Hall
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Last Amended: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318819
Location: Central Swindon South, Swindon, SN3
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 1583 NE SWINDON
8/157 Corn Exchange and Town Hall
(formerly listed as the Locarno
2.10 51 Ballroom and Clock Tower and
Premises occupied by Brown
& Plummer Ltd
Market hall and town hall. Built 1852-54 by Sampson Sage and
E Robertson of Swindon, extended as corn exchange 1866 by
Wilson and Willcox of Bath now bingo hall and shops. Ashlar stone.
Roof not visible. Corn exchange 2-storey, 5 bays divided by giant
Tuscan pilasters. Rusticated ground floor with arched openings
between pilasters, originally open, now with C20 shop windows.
Lugged architraves to first floor casement windows, and moulded
panel over Entablature and pediment over 3 central bays enclosing
roundel. Balustrade square lantern with cornice and arch with
bell. Extensions of 1866 provide corn exchange to rear on
triangular site, and tower to left of town hall facade. Rock-faced
stone with ashlar dressings. Tower of 4 stages, ground floor Ionic
columns in antis. Architraves to first and second floor windows.
Top level in form of open Venetian windows and corner Corinthian
pilasters above clock chamber. Cornice and balustrade, and square
dome with iron openwork crestings. Corn exchange to rear has
arcaded elevation, 1 storey with roof balustrade.
Interior not of special interest. Plans held in British
Listing NGR: SU1581983629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings