This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0706 / 51°4'14"N
Longitude: -1.7954 / 1°47'43"W
OS Eastings: 414431
OS Northings: 130162
OS Grid: SU144301
Mapcode National: GBR 517.WCS
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.0CX
Entry Name: Public Library young Gallery
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318952
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1594 (North Side)
Public Library & Young Gallery
SU 1430 SW 1/434
Library 1904 by A C Bothams, the adjoining Young Gallery by Mr Blount 1910-13.
The Library is free Cotswold Tudor-Jacobean. 3 storeys, ashlar. Centre recessed
between 2 slightly projecting gabled bays, that to right wider. Moulded copings
to gables. Crenellated parapet between with 4 centred cusped arched openings.
Quatrefoil panelling in stone band below. Strings across 2nd floor windows and
stepped up over ground floor ones. Large stone mullioned, transomed window
on ground floor with 4 centred arches to lights. Art Nouveau leaded panes.
Entrance has 4 centred arch with carved spandrels, 3 lights over with drip
mould stepped up over all. The gallery to left has string carried over from
Library, moulded coping to parapet. Ashlar front slightly lower than Library,
flanked by slender half octagon turrets rising above parapet, with minature crenella-
tion to caps. Below parapet (approximately at 2nd floor level) a large stone
panel, contained by the turrets. Good freely carved relief of roses. In
middle of wall a full width 6 light stone mullioned and transomed window, the
upper lights blind. Panel below window, resting on plinth, with dedicatory
inscription. Above the window runs a shallow coved cornice decorated with
rosettes and fleur de lys, miniature crenellation. Picturesque group.
Listing NGR: SU1443130162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings