This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0634 / 52°3'48"N
Longitude: -1.6232 / 1°37'23"W
OS Eastings: 425927
OS Northings: 240626
OS Grid: SP259406
Mapcode National: GBR 5PS.QF8
Mapcode Global: VHBYM.TD7J
Plus Code: 9C4W397G+9P
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 16 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306448
Location: Shipston on Stour, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Shipston on Stour
Built-Up Area: Shipston-on-Stour
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shipston-on-Stour St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SHIPSTON ON STOUR
CHURCH STREET (East side)
Church of St Edmund
(Formerly listed as parish Church of St. Edmund)
Church. C15 west tower, the remainder of church rebuilt by G.E Street, 1855, in C14 style. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble with plinth.Offset buttresses, quoins and coped gables. Concrete tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave with north vestry and west tower.
Chancel of one bay. To east a five-light window with central, taller light. Hood mould and label stops. Moulded string course below. To south a single pointed and cusped light. Nave of five bays with stone valley stack to north. To east of north aisle a four-light cusped window. To east of south aisle a three-light window with intersecting tracery. North vestry has two-light cusped window to east with hood mould and label stops, three-light pointed window to north and plank door to west in pointed, chamfered surround. North lean-to porch with painted and chamfered doorway. Within, a plank door with pointed, ovolo-moulded surround. Four north aisle windows of two-lights with Y-tracery. To south a large archway with chamfered, pointed openings with cusping within a south plank door with double chamfered surround and pointed arch with hood mould. Easternmost bay of south aisle has plank door with chamfered surround, and three single pointed and cusped lancets. Four south aisle windows of three traceried lights with central, taller light. West end of south aisle has large four-light window with Decorated style tracery and string course below. West end of north aisle has two-light window with cusped tracery and hood mould.
West tower of three stages with moulded plinth and cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet above. To west a part-renewed three-light window with intersecting, cusped tracery, double chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. To north, west and south of second stage a chamfered square light. Worn string cornice above. To each side of bell stage a C15 window of two cusped lights within chamfered surround and slate louvres. The window to south is renewed.
Interior: chancel has C19 pointed, cusped piscina to north and large sedilia with Tudor arched head and hood mould to south. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch with hood mould. Nave arcade of five pointed, chamfered arches supported on round piers with round moulded bases and capitals. Scissor braced roof to nave. C18, C19 and C20 wall tablets including one with obelisk and bust above a tablet inscribed 'Near this place lieth interred the body of John Hart Esq., considerable Improver and Promoter of Manufacture in this his Native Town, who, in the Year 1739 Bore the Office of High Sherrif of the County of Worcester. He died Sept. 1 A.D. 1747 aged 73. To his memory this monument was erected by his nephew John Hart'. Stone pulpit with C13 style traceried panels and hexagonal font with C14 style traceried panels with fleuron cornice. C19 stained glass in east window, and in east window of south aisle chapel.
Listing NGR: SP2592740626
Other nearby listed buildings