This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0093 / 55°0'33"N
Longitude: -1.4368 / 1°26'12"W
OS Eastings: 436116
OS Northings: 568451
OS Grid: NZ361684
Mapcode National: GBR LBDJ.Q3
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.WCZ4
Entry Name: Beacon House trinity Buildings Number 1
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303374
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
TYNEMOUTH TYNE STREET (north side)
NZ 3668 SW
15/126 Trinity Buildings No. 1
Lighthouse, later almshouses, now house. 1727 for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Painted render and brick; Welsh slate roof and lead roof to lead-covered lantern.
4 storeys, one bay square, with later porch; later 2-storey l-bay left extension.
Door in later extension. C20 glazing to windows on each floor and in extension.
Third floor band. Ball finial on ogee-hipped roof of lantern. Eroded plaque
between first and second floors commemorates conversion to almshouses after building
of new high light in 1807. Historical note: in 1536 Henry VIII empowered Trinity
House, Newcastle upon Tyne, to build 2 lighthouses at Shields. By 1807 changes in
the river bed made a new lighthouse necessary to mark the safe approach. Listed
mainly for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NZ3611668451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings