This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0538 / 51°3'13"N
Longitude: -0.2961 / 0°17'46"W
OS Eastings: 519518
OS Northings: 129649
OS Grid: TQ195296
Mapcode National: GBR HJP.XLK
Mapcode Global: FRA B68B.GGT
Entry Name: St John's College
Listing Date: 22 September 1959
Last Amended: 28 November 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1027055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299213
Location: Horsham, West Sussex, RH13
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Forest
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Horsham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
HORSHAM RURAL BRIGHTON ROAD
5404 St John's College
(formerly listed as
TQ 12 NE 12/306 22.9.59.
The oldest portion of the building is the back part of the former service
wing. This is C17, Stone and red brick. The main building is a Tudor Gothic
mansion built by Maria, Marchioness of Northampton in 1833-5. Architect
P F Robinson. Two storeys. Five windows. Faced with Roman cement. Horsham
slab roof. Two bays of 6-lights on both floors with gables over surmounted
by finials. Parapet between containing Gothic lettering. Casement windows
of 2 or 3-lights with dripstones over. Square bay of five-lights on ground
floor with pierced parapet. Ground floor addition of library with slate roof
at west end. Service wing set back at east end with a gable in cottage Gothic
style with cusped bargeboards. On the entrance front there is a 3-storeyed
tower over the doorway with an empty niche on first floor and gable with small
oriel to east of this. Good example of a Tudor Gothic mansion.
Listing NGR: TQ1951829649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings