This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9876 / 50°59'15"N
Longitude: 0.1158 / 0°6'56"E
OS Eastings: 548597
OS Northings: 123042
OS Grid: TQ485230
Mapcode National: GBR LQ6.03B
Mapcode Global: FRA C64H.LY2
Entry Name: The Old Parish Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295917
Location: Buxted, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Buxted
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Buxted and Hadlow Down
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013
TQ 42 SE
The Old Parish Church of St Margaret
Parish church. C13 west tower (heightened in C18,) C13 4 bay arcade,
chancel of c.1300 with C15 aisle walls and north porch. C17 clerestory.
Built of sandstone rubble with tiled roofs. Chancel, south chancel or
family pew, north transept, nave with aisles, north porch and west tower
with broached shingled spur. C13 west tower of 3 stage with circular
opening to C18 bell stage and C13 lancets below. Corner buttresses.
Clerestorey has 3 C17 triple mullions. North aisle has Perpendicular 2
double cinquefoil headed lights and Perpendicular north porch with
crenellated parapet. North transept with large traceried window.
Internally the nave has Perpendicular canted 4 bay ceiling with
elaborate tie beam supported on stone corbels. South arcade has round
piers with double chamfered arches, north arcade has alternating
octagonal and round columns and double hollow chamfered arches. Late
C13 font of square Purbeck type on 5 supports but the flat blank arches
pointed trefoiled. Jacobean pulpit with blank arches and elaborate
floral carving. Chancel has canted plastered ceiling of c.1600 having
panels with geometrical motifs but frieze of long branched flowers in
vases. Communion rail later C17 with dumb-bell balusters. Piscina and
sedilia probably a rare C17 example. 2 bench ends have fleur de lys
poppy heads. Late C13 chest. Monuments include brass to Britellus
Avenel, rector in later C14, an ogee cross at the top of a staff and in
the cross the demi figure of the rector; Deonicius Slon d1485, demi
figure of another Priest 12 inches long; George Medley d1796 by C.
Regmast a marble wall tablet of lady grieving against an urn over
tablet; 2 plain wall tablets by Sir R. Westmacott and white marble
plaque to Basil Ionides (d.1950).
Listing NGR: TQ4860023040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings