History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hampton Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Leatherhead, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2941 / 51°17'38"N

Longitude: -0.3289 / 0°19'43"W

OS Eastings: 516616

OS Northings: 156324

OS Grid: TQ166563

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.CRL

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.8Q0S

Entry Name: Hampton Cottage

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290522

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 1656 SE (west side)
No. 64 (Hampton Cottage)
7.9.51 (formerly listed as No.28)


Cottage, now museum. Mid C17, altered, and recently restored. Timber frame of
elm (on modern brick plinth), with rendered brick nogging, pantile roof.
Rectangular plan of 3 structural bays, gable to road. Two low storeys; the timber
framing exposed in both gable walls and on the north side (mostly above ground
floor level) consists of corner and wall-posts, mid-rails, down-braces from the
posts, regularly spaced studs, wallplates, and a roof truss in the east gable wall
with 2 queen struts (the west gable wall apparently rebuilt); some timbers have
scratched carpenter's marks, and the 1st bay on the north side incorporates an
unglazed wooden diamond-mullion window at 1st floor (now with secondary
glazing inside). The gabled facade to the road now has a small oriel window and
a casement at ground floor, and an inserted 2-light casement above, breaking
into the tie-beam; the north side has a modern gabled porch offset left of
centre, a casement to the left and another above and to the right; the south
side has 2 external chimney stacks (that to the rear probably C17); and the rear
gable wall has a doorway and modern oriel at ground floor, and a 2-light
casement above. Interior: exposed timber framing and some wattle-and-daub
panels; staircase inserted in middle bay. History: erected on glebe land between
1642 and 1682, and occupied at the latter date by the widow of a falconer
(reference: LDLHS History, pp 310, 312).

Listing NGR: TQ1661656324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.