History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Merry Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashtead, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3093 / 51°18'33"N

Longitude: -0.3122 / 0°18'43"W

OS Eastings: 517741

OS Northings: 158044

OS Grid: TQ177580

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.9ZB

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.JCT3

Entry Name: Merry Hall

Listing Date: 2 April 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1028681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290387

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT21

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Ashtead Village

Built-Up Area: Ashtead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Ashtead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ/15/NE (east side)

2.4.70 Merry Hall


House. Probably later C18 (chimney at rear inscribed 1788); altered and enlarged.
Red brick in Flemish bond, slate roof. Rectangular double-depth plan with
addition at left end and rear wing to this. The principal element is 2 storeys and
4 bays, with basement and attic: the high basement, treated as a chamfered
plinth, has a 2-light casement window in the 4th bay; the ground floor has a
doorway (up 6 steps protected by stick-baluster railings) offset left of centre,
with a wooden open-pedimented doorcase composed of fluted Tuscan pilasters
with triglyph entablatures, and 8-panel door (top panels now glazed) under a
semi-elliptical fanlight with keyed surround (glazing altered); both floors have
four 12-pane unhorned sashed windows with exposed boxes and gauged brick
heads, but those at 1st floor are irregularly disposed, with one over the door and
one placed centrally to the left. Bracketed wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof
with 2 flat-roofed dormers which have 6-pane horned sashes. Side-wall chimney
to the right. Attached at the left end is a late C19 2-bay addition which has
tripartite sashes on both floors, a matching cornice, and hipped roof with 2
chimneys on the front slope. The right-hand return wall has one window on each
floor to the rear, matching those at the front. The rear has inter alia 2
extruded chimney stacks (that on the left with "1788" inscribed on a brick above
eaves level), a sashed stairwindow, and 2 dormers in the roof; and a small
conservatory and single-storey outbuilding are attached to the rear wing.
Interior: altered, but contains open-well staircase with stick balusters, and cellar
with wine bins.

Listing NGR: TQ1774158044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.