This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2422 / 51°14'31"N
Longitude: -0.2181 / 0°13'5"W
OS Eastings: 524481
OS Northings: 150731
OS Grid: TQ244507
Mapcode National: GBR JHZ.5P5
Mapcode Global: VHGS9.51LK
Entry Name: North Pavilion Cottage south Pavilion Cottage
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289476
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Central
Built-Up Area: Reigate
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Reigate St Philip
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
(East Side, off)
North Pavilion Cottage
and South Pavilion Cottage
Cricket pavilion and 2 cottages, now 2 dwellings. 1937 by Sir Edwin and Robert
Lutyens for Sir William Mallinson of Pine End; converted c.1950. Graduated
weatherboard; wood shingle roof. H-shaped plan, having former cricket pavilion
to centre, on ground floor, with 2 changing rooms at front and washrooms at
rear; cottages forming cross-wings and on 1st floor extending over pavilion;
at rear, centre, linked block of outbuildings. Crosswings 2 storeys, centre
1 storey with attic. 1:3:1 bays. Windows wooden framed with smallpane glazing
and casements. Central range has attic under catslide roof supported by artificial
stone columns, paired flanking centre, so forming ground floor loggia which
is brick-paved and has a recessed central entrance formerly with a board door
on each side into changing rooms, that on left blocked; outer bays each have
a 4-light window. Attic floor: central, wood-shingled clock tower with hexagonal
clock face in panel and hipped gable, flanked by 2 light, hipped dormers. Cross-
wings have a 2 light window on each floor (those on ground floor inserted at
conversion) and swept hipped roofs with metal ridge stacks of coupled, polygonal
flues. Returns each have: steps up to central door with small pane glazing
over panel, in architrave with console bracketed pediment; a 4-light window
either side and 3 of 2 lights above. Rear: cross-wings each have a French
window and 2-light window above; central range formerly had on each side of
outbuilding block a board door with a small 4-pane window to outside and two
to inside, door on left now a wide window, door on right now a French window.
Two 4-light attic dormers; outbuilding block of brick with a board gate (at
junction with main range) and door to each return. Interior: board doors with
A S G Butler, The Architecture of Sir Edwin Lutyens, Vol 1 Country Houses (1950).
Listing NGR: TQ2448150731
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings