This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2311 / 51°13'51"N
Longitude: -0.5786 / 0°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 499340
OS Northings: 148945
OS Grid: SU993489
Mapcode National: GBR FCJ.QKF
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.XBH3
Entry Name: 87 and 89, Portsmouth Road
Listing Date: 13 January 1972
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289043
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU2
Electoral Ward/Division: Friary and St Nicolas
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94NE GUILDFORD PORTSMOUTH ROAD
Nos. 87 and 89 (formerly
13/1/72 listed as 1 and 2
Pair of large semi-detached houses. 1883 by R. Norman Shaw, extended to left in
1911 by Ernest Newton, further extended to right. Orange-red brick below with
brown fishscale tile hanging above and plain tiled roofs. Two storeys and attics
under two gabled dormers to left and a flat roofed casement dormer to right of
centre; three storeys to right in projecting,gabled square bay. Massive cross-
ridge stacks to right of centre, multiple stacks to rear right of centre and to
left end. Two gabled dormers to left with leaded casement fenestration. 6-light
window across with the end lights wrapping around the corners, mullioned and
transomed leaded windows below breaking through the eaves, supported on roughcast
coves. Continuous leaded fenestration across second and first floors of right
hand projecting bay, 4 lights either side of moulded central mullion on second
floor with 2-light return windows wrapping round corners) 4 mullioned and transomed
lights below on first floor in similar arrangement. Two 3-light mullioned and
transomed windows to ground floor right of centre, projecting square bay window to
left. Wide panelled doors to ends under 4-centre arched heads with moulded
surrounds. 4-light flanking window to right of left hand door, 2-light flanking
window to left of right hand door. Gabled extension set back to right with
chamfered corner and leaded fenestration. Single storey hipped roof extensions to
left end. Formerly listed with 3 and 4 Rectory Place as one item.
A SAINT: R. NORMAN SHAW (YALE 1977) p.419.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND: SURREY (1971) p.292.
Listing NGR: SU9934248946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings