This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2358 / 51°14'8"N
Longitude: -0.5717 / 0°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 499813
OS Northings: 149483
OS Grid: SU998494
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.D95
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.16MG
Entry Name: 142 and 144, High Street
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288965
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET
8/101 Nos, 142 and 144
Houses, now shops. Early C16 and C17 with C20 alterations and extensions. Timber
framed, clad in painted stucco and wood. Plain-tiled roofs gable end on to street
on right. Three storeys with front stack to left and stacks to rear. Two bays
with square bay projecting on first and second floors to left. Casement fenes-
tration on the second floor and two 12-pane, glazing-bar sash windows under
dentilled hood on the first floor front face, 8-pane sashes on the sides.
Projecting square bay to right on the first and second floors with glazing-bar
casement windows above and mullioned and transomed windows below. Ground floor
cove over late C19 shop front with panelled end pilasters and foliage scroll
brackets. Central door in recess, further door to left to Milkhouse Gate, an old
alleyway flanking the building. Left hand return wall facing the alley has frame
exposed. Later extensions to rear.
Interior:- Crown-post range to front. C18 turned baluster staircase with square
Photographs in N.M.R.
Listing NGR: SU9981449484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings