History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bath House and Terrace to Albury House tunnel Entrance Bath House and Terraces

A Grade II* Listed Building in Albury, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.221 / 51°13'15"N

Longitude: -0.4762 / 0°28'34"W

OS Eastings: 506514

OS Northings: 147964

OS Grid: TQ065479

Mapcode National: GBR GF6.DF5

Mapcode Global: VHFVP.PKMW

Entry Name: Bath House and Terrace to Albury House tunnel Entrance Bath House and Terraces

Listing Date: 14 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288276

Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: Albury

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Albury

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 04 NE Albury C.P. NEW ROAD
Albury Park

5/19 Tunnel entrance,
14.6.67 Bath house and terraces


See also Shere C.P.

Terrace, bathhouse and tunnel entrance. 1667 - 1676 by John Evelyn for
Henry, 6th Duke of Norfolk in imitation of the grotto of Sejanus at
Posilipo near Naples. Terrace on two levels extending for a quarter of a
mile. Red brick retaining walls, circa 7 feet high. In the centre of
the upper terrace is a tunnel extending for "30 perches" into the hillside.
The entrance is set into a semi-circular brick wall with arcading containing
10 round headed niches and 2 round headed doorways, on each side of which
the terrace continues. In front of the semi circular wall is a pool with
a fountain originally dated 1666, but the head is now broken off. At the
centre of the lower terrace is the bathhouse. A brick vaulted room with
3 round headed niches on each of the north, east and west walls with
pipes to convey water from the pool above. Three bay front to south with
square keystoned windows flanking central keystoned door. Rusticated
quoined angles and brick cornice above, dated 1676 on the keystones.
Flanking stairways lead to the upper terrace with round headed niches in

THE DIARY OF JOHN EVELYN: edited by E S De Beer (OUP 1959)

Listing NGR: TQ0651447964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.