This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2561 / 52°15'21"N
Longitude: -2.1851 / 2°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 387462
OS Northings: 262004
OS Grid: SO874620
Mapcode National: GBR 1FF.DDW
Mapcode Global: VH92G.2KPC
Entry Name: Church Cottage lychgate Cottage
Listing Date: 21 January 1998
Last Amended: 27 May 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469029
Location: Salwarpe, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Salwarpe
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Salwarpe and Hindlip with Martin Hussingtree
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 86 SE SALWARPE
357/4/10003 Church Cottage and
School and master's house, now two cottages. Circa early C17, extended circa early C18, 1821 and later C19. Timber-framed with red brick nogging and gable-ended plain tile roof; and brick with plain tile hipped roof with deep eaves. Brick gable-end and axial stacks. PLAN: The original school and master's house occupied the timber-framed west range at right-angles to the road. In about the early C18 a brick extension was built at the rear [E]. In 1821 the early C18 wing was rebuilt with a kitchen and school room on the ground floor and two rooms over, facing the road [N] .Later in the C19 [circa 1882] the school was converted into cottages and a shop, a single storey cross-wing was built at the east end and a 2-storey outshut built at the rear [S] .The three cottages are now two dwellings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Timber-framed 3-window range facing west, with largely C20 casements, C20 glazed door on right and extended in brick on left [N]. North front has symmetrica12-storey 2-window range at centre, with C19 3-light casements with glazing bars and sandstone lintels and ci11s [ground floor right casement replaced], blocked centre doorway and doorways to left and right with flush-panel doors; gabled cross-wing left and right, the left with C 19 3-light casement. At rear [S] , 2-storey outshut with late C20 timber balcony, circa early C18 brick wan to left and timber-frame west range to left of that. INTERIOR: The right [S] room of original west range has chamfered cross-beam and gable end fireplace with large timber bressumer and exposed wall-framing. Lychgate Cottage has some C19 panelled and ledged doors and a wide staircase. NOTE: The school was endowed in 1607 and 1719, and extended in 1821. In 1882 it was replaced by a Board school on another site to the SSE, and became cottages and a shop. SOURCE: Fletcher, D. V., The History of Salwarpe School; Droitwich History and Archaeology Society.
Listing NGR: SO8746262004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings