This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1763 / 52°10'34"N
Longitude: 1.0616 / 1°3'41"E
OS Eastings: 609430
OS Northings: 257530
OS Grid: TM094575
Mapcode National: GBR TL6.K69
Mapcode Global: VHLB5.CK2J
Entry Name: Fen Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279346
Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Earl
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
EARL STONHAM FEN LANE
TM 05 NE
4/97 Fen Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, mid C16 with alterations of late C16 and early C17. 2
storeys and attics. 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan since C17, but
initially a rare example of a smoke-bay house with sleeping loft beyond.
Timber-framed and roughcast. Plaintiled roof, with axial C18 chimney of red
brick, and a C17 internal end chimney with sawtooth shaft. Mid C20 casements
(some early C19 windows to rear). Boarded- C19 entrance door at cross-passage
position. The original house comprised: a service cell, within which was a
cross-passage; this gave access through speres to a wide smoke-bay; beyond to
right was a further bay, with a loft above supported on a massive binding
joist. The crownpost roof has smoke-blackening in the smoke-bay. Heavy
unmoulded framing, with arch windbraced studwork. The house was extended to
right and left in early C17; the formerly hipped-roofed service end received a
gable chimney and newel stair. A massive late C16 upper floor was inserted
into the smoke bay, and a wide open fireplace added with a new parlour beyond
to right. Attics were inserted throughout. Several moulded oak plank doors.
Some joinery of c.1800 in the parlour including a pilastered corner cupboard
and matching fire surround.
Listing NGR: TM0943057530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings