History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

94-99, BATH STREET (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4867 / 52°29'12"N

Longitude: -1.897 / 1°53'49"W

OS Eastings: 407093

OS Northings: 287645

OS Grid: SP070876

Mapcode National: GBR 616.1G

Mapcode Global: VH9YX.2RHK

Entry Name: 94-99, BATH STREET (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 28 August 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034381

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409889

Location: Birmingham, B4

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Aston

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-
SP 08 NE
Nos 94 - 99 including Nos. 28A -
997-0/7/99 32(consecutive), Shadwell Street
- II
Gun making factory. 1839-40 extended 1850-59. Flemish bond red
brick. painted on Shadwell Street elevation, inner ranges have Flemish
stretcher bond stretcher bond brick walls. Slate roofs with gabled
ends. Rectangular plan overall with ranges facing Bath Street (SE)
and Shadwell Street (NW) and 3 linking ranges framing 2 rectangular
central courtyards. 2 storey 14 and 15-window ranges to Bath Street
and Shadwell Street respectively. 25-pane cast-iron windows in
segmental-headed openings with stone cills. Bath Street has rounded
doorway to left and right with flush-panelled double doors, and semi-
circular fanlights, the right hand (No 98) with radiating glazing
bars. Shadwell Street (NW) elevation has cambered arch doorway to
left and right of centre, first floor leaded door to left of centre
and 2 later vehicular entrances at centre. The elevations facing the
inner court yards had similar multi-pane cast-iron windows in
segmental headed openings, the centre range has brick buttresses
between the windows. Apart from the north west range which is 2
storeys the other elevations on the inner courtyards are 3 storeys
because the yard level is lower than Bath Street. Interior: Little
altered since C19. Winder and cast-iron spiral staircases, old
counter and time clock for'clocking-in' in central range. Cast-iron
chimneypiece in office and iron grate in 2nd floor offices. Boarded
rafters to roofs with king-post trusses.

Note The Bath Street (SE) range was built in 1839-40 for William Read
a coach builder. By 1860 Thomas Mabbutt a gun implement maker
occupied part of Read's buildings which by then had been extended
around two courtyards and to Shadwell Street. By 1871 Mabbutt
occupied the whole building and the 1876 Directory lists the whole
building as occupied by Abingdon Works Company Ltd., its managing
director being Thomas Mabbutt. The factory was taken over in circa
1907-8 by Humphries and Dawes, Cycle Makers. Since 1913 it has been
occupied by various gun makers and light engineering firms.

Listing NGR: SP0709387645

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.