This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5195 / 52°31'10"N
Longitude: -1.5099 / 1°30'35"W
OS Eastings: 433349
OS Northings: 291403
OS Grid: SP333914
Mapcode National: GBR 6KV.32B
Mapcode Global: VHBWC.SX3X
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 11 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308581
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV10
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingswood
Built-Up Area: Nuneaton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stockingford St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH CHURCH ROAD
SP39SW (West side)
1/43 Church of St. Paul
Church. 1822-1823 by J. Russell for the Commissioners for Building Churches.
Chancel added 1897 by G.B. Vialls. Flemish bond brick with some stone dressings.
Graduated slate roof has deep plastered eaves and pediment gables with
widely-spaced modillions. Chancel has blue brick plinth and stone dressings.
Ridge tile cresting and stone-coped gable parapet with moulded kneelers and
finial. Nave, chancel, west tower, east vestries. Simple classical style; Gothic
Revival chancel. Large 4-bay nave, small 3-bay chancel. Chancel has buttresses
flush with east wall. 3-light east window has bar tracery, hood mould and head
stops. Small lancet opening above. Chancel roof breaks into nave pediment.
Pediment has triangular sunk panels and louvred round-arched opening with
projecting surround. Nave and remainder of-church have round-arched openings
with stone sills set in blank arches. 2-light windows have painted wood tracery
of the 'Venetian' type, with round-arched lights and a circle; sunk panels in
brickwork below. Nave windows have 2 transoms and stone band at springing level.
North-east vestry of 2 bays has 4-panelled door with traceried fanlight and
blocked window. South-east vestry of one bay has part-glazed round-arched door,
with sunk panel above. Each vestry has window with one transom to return side,
moulded brick cornice and embattled parapet. West front has blind arches. Tower
of 3 stages cuts into nave pediment. Stone string courses. Round-arched flush
4-panelled double-leaf doors. Return sides have blind openings, largely hidden
by lean-to addition to north. Second stage has louvred openings. Third stage has
slightly-projecting angle piers with plain stone capitals. Round openings with
stone frames have clock faces to north and south, and pierced painted infill to
west. Moulded stone cornice and balustrade. Interior is plastered. Spacious nave
has coved and panelled ceiling with flat moulded ribs. West gallery has painted
fielded panelled front and curved ends, on chamfered posts. Chamfered stone
Tudor chancel arch of 1897 has hood mould with foliage stops. Chancel has 3-bay
king post roof. Fittings: late C19 pews, altar rails and organ case. Font of
1883. Octagonal carved wood pulpit dated 1906 has blind Gothic tracery. Late
C19/early C20 reredos. Stained glass: early C20 east window.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp165; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp404;
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire 1894; pp195)
Listing NGR: SP3334991403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings