This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.366 / 51°21'57"N
Longitude: -1.7773 / 1°46'38"W
OS Eastings: 415597
OS Northings: 163012
OS Grid: SU155630
Mapcode National: GBR 4XS.7GV
Mapcode Global: VHB4D.4XRQ
Entry Name: Oare House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311825
Location: Wilcot, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Wilcot
Built-Up Area: Oare
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 16 SE (west side)
6/188 Oare House
Large house. 1740, mid C19, and 1921-5 by Clough Williams-Ellis.
Original house for Henry Deacon, wine merchant of London. Red and
blue vitrified brick with concealed roof. Central block 2 rooms
deep with link to forward wings. Large drawing room added on south
c1840, remodelled 1921 and extended at rear as library in 1925.
North wing extended 1921 and later. Three storeys and cellars.
Entrance elevation of 5 bays, the 3 central bays broken forward
with pediment and central 8-panelled door within Ionic portico.
Brick cornice over ground floor and first floor windows with
triangular and flat pediments. Other windows later C18 twelve-pane
sashes, 6-pane sashes to second floor. Raised parapet clasping
dentilled pediment, and urn finials. Rainwater hoppers signed HD
1740. Timber cupola with bell. Flanking wings are of 2 bays with
Venetian window motif on ground floor and low pitched gables with
stacks. Garden elevation similar but simple 5 bays with central
door in Roman Doric portico over steps and no pediment. This block
extended either side, the right side probably refaced 1921 to match
new left side. C18 brick (reclaimed from Upper Huish) with 3
close-spaced round headed windows, and 32-pane sashes on first
floor, some blind. Balustered openings in parapet to flat roof.
This facade extended both sides as garden wall (q.v.).
Interior: remodelled in C20, cross hall with cedar stair, C18
style with turned balusters, possibly original resited. Fielded
panelling and chair rail, and marble fireplace. Saloon to rear and
small sitting room both panelled with marble fireplaces. Drawing
room with mid C19 fireplace also marble and library with columns in
antis, 1925. 1920's work carried out for Sir Geoffrey and Lady
Alathea Fry, private secretary to Bonar Law and Stanley Baldwin.
Clough Williams-Ellis also laid out gardens. The war cabinet met
secretly in the house in the 1939-45 war.
Listing NGR: SU1559763012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings